Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"The Fakebook Generation" - My response

I do not have any social network other than this "blogger" website. Therefore, I have not seen nor experienced any facebooking myself.  My blog will be focused on "The Fakebook Generation" and the experiences I have learned about from others.

The part of "The Fakebook Generation" that stuck out to me the most was how the "older" generation uses Facebook as a social network.  My Grandmother was recently connected to Facebook. Grandmother can't wait to have a new "friend" join her site.  However, Grandma fails to see that she spreads rumors and degrades people, and then allows those people in on her site!
Grandma uses it as a bragging site for all of the junk she invests in, also.  In her next breath, she tells her friends how she has no money to spend time with them.  If they confront her on it, she denies ever having written about spending money and buy all her worldly goods (junk). "Hello, Grandma! You typed it in there for all to see!"  Now Grandma wonders why she is deleted from so many "friends" sites. 

I have heard of other incidences like Grandmas and wonder if Facebook isn't actually causing tension and grudges in adult relationships, instead of "enriching" them as Alice Mathias describes in her essay.  It seems as though collage students and the elder generation have two entirely different views on Facebook. The younger generation seems to be using Facebook as a social outlet from the daily grind (more of a playful site). The older generation uses it as a way to write a letter to someone, paying no attention to the fact that all of his or her "friends" will be reading the "private" letter.  Where is the comedy to which Alice Mathias is referring to?

No comments:

Post a Comment