Sunday, November 6, 2011

Readers Choice

I saw on another blog that they chose “The Glass Castle” as their favorite book, which truly amazes me, because I honestly thought the book was so blah. The last few chapters were the only parts that kept my interest.  There are better stories out there. When I was at the book store getting this book for school, an older lady there told me how much she enjoyed the book, and how good of a book it was. Was I disappointed when I started reading it!  I just went online and looked at some movie trailers people have made. The National Review had a comment on one of the trailers that said some parts of the book were “exhausting”.  This is exactly how I felt right up until the last few chapters, when the kids started saving money to move to New York.  I thought “there…we’re finally getting somewhere.  An actual story is coming together.  There is a purpose to all the gibberish.”  She could have done without half of the boring stories, and still kept you up on what happened.  Jeanette described fights that happened in one of the towns for one and a half pages…who cared about THAT much detail…we got the gist of it in a couple of sentences!   


Honestly, I think “The Glass Castle” would make a good movie, just not a very entertaining book.  Some of the movie trailers were proof of that.  I will have to admit, I do not like reading books at all. I like reading magazines a lot, if to read anything.  If I were to choose an inspiration book, it would be “Little Girl Lost”.  This book is the younger years of Drew Barrymore’s life.  She was just a young child when she made her first movies “Firestarters” and “E.T.”. It tells about going to Hollywood “after production parties” with her parents.  She eventually grew bored, being the only child at these parties, and started drinking which lead to drugs.  Look at this girl’s life today!  Talk about inspirational!  Now THIS was a book I could not put down.  Even though some of things that happened to Drew were repetitious, the writer did not drag on and on and on about each episode. 

No comments:

Post a Comment