Thursday, December 1, 2011

Modest Proposal

Wow, I found myself going blah, blah blah and what is he talking about in the Modest Proposal!  Initially I thought Jonathon Swift, writer of Modest Proposal, started talking out about poor women selling themselves to get money with all the kids around them needing help because they were poor.  Then as I read down a little further with all the babbeling, he made it sound like he was going to fry up children and eat them. Swift than switches to talking about selling off the kids of these women.  By this time I was totally lost on what he was trying to propose to us, or have us even to focus on. I still don't understand what this entire article is even trying to focus on.  I didn't see anything in the begining of the article about what "Kingdom" he was talking about until you read down a few paragraphs then he mentions the "Kingdom of Ireland".  When you read more towards the bottom it sounds like you are reading a William Shakespeare novel!  Throughout the whole thing he uses commas in between complete sentences, there are spelling errors (publick), and there is so many larger words to make you really lose focus. 

I suppose one proposal would be the drug testing on welfare recipeants as in Amber Mehrkens topic for her essay.  Another one would be housing shortage for the homeless and rehabilitation programs for the homeless to get them back on track.  There is always the medical issues of people needing healthcare which our goverment deals with daily trying to propose solutions. 

It just seems to me that there is proposals to be made on just about everything, it just depends on how far out of reach some of the soultions would actually be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment